Monday, December 29, 2008

When Digital Media Works

While digital media is convenient, it isn't always the appropriate way to convey a message. Case in point: when my 69-year-old mother was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer, I wasn't expecting to hear about it first via text message. But that's what happened.

However, recently I experienced how digital media can convey delicate messages -- and do it very well.

When my 12-year-old golden retriever, Eddie, died, Facebook spread the message and served as a unexpected virtual memorial for photos and memories. My husband posted a simple photo album titled Best Dog Ever. Those who knew Eddie had died posted memories and notes of sympathy and support. As people visited the album, others joined in and a few people posted their own Eddie photos and even replaced their Facebook profile photos with photos of Eddie. Many of our friends and family members changed their statuses to honor Eddie. Everytime I logged onto Facebook, I was touched.

While we received several sympathy cards, a couple of bouquets of flowers, and even pears from Harry and David, it was the Facebook comments and sharing of memories that helped me the most through those first days.

3 comments:

  1. It's interesting how there are times when you want to tell someone something that you don't know how. Perhaps posting pictures with the right caption is the best way to convey something subtley.

    Here is a new question: why is it such a big deal to change your relationship status on facebook?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great question... from my own perspective, I think the wording is funny. Jane Doe's status has changed to married! But my 21-year-old nephew told me that's it's also huge to take the step of going from single to in a relationship. You're announcing you're no longer available to EVERYONE you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But there is the gossip side of the facebook single/ married status update. People love to know who is failing in a relationship. We gravitate towards it, we slow down on the super highway to stop and take a peek. Who is he in a relationship with? Who just got snubbed in his facebook friend queue? Or in another context, when someone says they are 'single' are they inviting their single friends to start flirting with them?

    ReplyDelete